There are like 8 types of gift givers.
1. The over generous giver - Those are the people that would give no matter what and to everyone. Normally they are the kind of people who will load their credit cards to give gifts to anyone no matter what. Like to each flashing of the credit card, love was spread... They would also start to buy gifts like in August or in September, just to make sure they have enough money to buy everything and/or to make sure they have enough time to collect all the information needed to give the gift. Because a gift can't just be a gift, it has to be perfect. This is normally the person who receives less too ... Normally those people are surrounded by all the other types of givers.
2. The unconscious giver - Those are the people who has one mission and one mission only. Give a gift. They don't care the price, the person's taste or habits. They have to find a gift. The first thing they find that would fit becomes the gift. They are the kind of person that would give a sushi plate set to a person that is seafood and fish allergic or some gas certificate to a person without a car (real examples). Not to be mistaken with the egocentric giver, the careless giver, the bitchy giver or the panicky giver.
3. The panicky giver - Those are the people who would buy their gift on December 24th at 2pm when they are attending a dinner at 5. They walk fast, talk fast and look like they are having an attack. They would normally buy their gifts to Body and Bath works, Crabtree and Evelyn or the Body Shop and would tap their feet during all the wrapping process. They normally forgets to buy gift for one person in their entourage.
4. The egocentric giver - Those are the people who buys something for someone they would like to receive ... not because they want to make sure it's ok. No, they just break the frustration of buying something they can't have for themselves by buying something they would like for them, sometimes it can be more like they think the stuff they have is so great that everyone should have some.
5. The receiver - The receiver never buy gifts for anyone but for some reasons are covered of presents in each occasion. They are well known for their marvelous sentence that goes like this "ahhhhhhhh you shouldn't have!" but takes it anyways. When they rarely give gifts, if they have no other choice, the receiver would become a panicky giver in most cases. But, some receivers are cases of generous givers who were fed up of being surrounded by all the other types of givers and just gave up giving.
6. The bitchy giver - Those are the people who are making a gift as a statement. Perfume to someone who smells, cookbook to someone who cooks badly etc. They don't really care about the gift they just want to make a statement.
7. The careless giver - That person is a kind of panicky-unconscious giver but with the understanding that he or she doing it wrong. That's the kind of person who just don't give a crap about the person she/he is giving a gift to, she/he is just doing it 'cause she/he has to. Those people would give a Christmas sock full of thing for a dog, to a person who has three cats.
8. The show-off giver - These are the people who are doing it for the show. Easy to recognize, those people usually buy their gift in bulk in Costco. They want big, flashy expensive gifts that would expresses all the "love" they have for the person receiving but also how much they earn annually. Another good trick to recognize them. They would fill their facebook pages with tons and tons of pictures of their Xmas trees full of gifts, and they will take pictures of the receiver not opening the gift, but after the gift has been opened so that everyone could see what has been bought and not the expression of contentment of the receiver.
For all those reasons, I banished Xmas. It was all about that after all.... spending spending and no real feelings ... or so little. That's the funniest part now. I can analyse!